Sunday, February 14, 2010

TONY PALMER'S FILM OF FRANK ZAPPA'S 200 MOTELS

  • tony palmer's film of frank zappa's 200 motels
    (2010, dvd, uk, tony palmer tpdvd127)

Yes!! Finally, here it is: "200 Motels" in all its glory.

We've all seen this movie as it got released on VHS video years and years ago.
And now, here's the high quality DVD version.

"200 Motels" got shot in 1971 and featured Zappa and The Mothers Of Invention plus Ringo Starr and Keith Moon, to drop just two names. Now that I think of it, Zappa always had this thing for drummers...

Anyway, "200 Motels" is a milestone in Zappa's career. I'm not too big a fan of the vaudeville aspect and the on-the-road stories, as you cannot keep on laughing with it, but the music is fabulous. It's Zappa at his best.

This DVD offers two versions of the movie: one with the standard soundtrack, and one that has a Tony Palmer interview and comments on top of it.
Excellent stuff.

ESSENTIAL !

http://www.voiceprint.co.uk/web/Release/TPDVD127/

1 comment:

  1. This is actually a horrible version of 200 Motels. The sound is better on the old VHS release than on this DVD, the picture is 'mutated' into widescreen when it never was originally, and small sections of the film are missing completely (most notably Ringo's line at the end of Penis Dimension'). I love Zappa and got so excited when I saw this in the store but sadly I will be returning my copy & getting my money back. Trust me, buy a bootleg version!

    ReplyDelete